Why we still subject ourselves to this torture or how we can stand to watch TV anymore is a mystery. Maybe it’s because we secretly love getting our souls crushed when our favorite character is killed.
Despite there being plenty of ways to write an actor off of a show, death seems to be the most common. These examples are just some of the reasons we have commitment issues…
*Warning: contains spoilers*
- Keith (One Tree Hill). I can tell you exactly where I was sitting when I watched Dan murder his brother in cold blood in the hallway of the damn high school. I low-key lost faith in humanity and cried for like an hour…
- Finn (Glee) The only thing more depressing than our favorite show choir losing Finn to suicide was the fact that the real actor Corey Monteith died of a drug overdose. All the feels!!!!!
- Shay (Chicago Fire) We knew watching gorgeous men and woman run into burning buildings every week was slightly dangerous but really?! Gabby’s best friend?!
- Wren (Pretty Little Liars) Not only did Spencer’s psychotic twin kill the British heart throb but she decided to wear his ashes in a pendant around her neck…till death do us part officially got a new meaning, and the females of Rosewood suffered a serious loss.
- Jason (Designated Survivor) It may be one of TVs newer shows, but the moment they killed Jason, and the moment Hannah realizes it’s happened are enough to make anyone tear up.
- Angelo (Switched At Birth) Naturally when the family is finally happy and well adjusted they have to get rid of him in a car crash. Haven’t the girls already been through enough?
- Melissa (OC) Is there anything more gut wrenching than Ryan carrying her out of the burning car? Like seriously.
- Rayna (Nashville) The queen of country’s sudden death after surviving multiple life threatening situations felt like someone stole our first born. But her family crowded by her bedside singing, “Life That’s Good” in perfect harmony was just plain cruel.
- Michael (Jane the Virgin) When her husband got shot we were led to believe he would be fine. But JK, he dies a few months later…#ugh.
- Jon (Game of Thrones) Watching fellow members of the Night’s Watch stab him after tricking him into coming outside was the ultimate betrayal. Can we trust no one?
- Zoe (Hour of Cards) As if death by train isn’t bad enough, she had to be pushed in front of it. We can’t decide if it was a brilliant or awful way to start a new season.
- William (This Is Us) The moment we realized the father son road trip was a final goodbye, our hearts broke. Cancer blows, even on screen.
- EVERYONE (Grey’s Anatomy) It’s no secret that killing off fan favorites is Shonda Rhimes number one hobby, but getting rid of half the cast (literally) is just plain wrong. Don’t even get us started on Derek…